Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: CGT due on SAYE scheme

Slight typo above: This guidance *does not* answer my queries…

Hello. Thanks but this guidance answer my queries on either use of two tax years or using my spouse’s allowance, which are the two key queries. Can you help provide guidance on these please? I am trying everything I can to be compliant here. Thanks

Hello - any update please?

(to add to my query above - I understand capital gains tax will be payable for any increase between when I buy the shares and when I transfer them to the ISA, but believe it will not be payable for any gains prior to this during the SAYE period?)

Hi, I have a similar query please, where I’m still a bit confused on what I can / can’t do. The guidance isn’t clear unfortunately and (to me anyway!) seems a bit contradictory. My SAYE scheme matures in December 2024, with up to 6 months after that to decide to buy the shares and the ability to split this into several decisions. I will have contributed £30k and the shares are on course to be worth approx £55k. I’m looking to minimise/eliminate any tax due on the £25k “gain” - ideally taking advantage of being married and also using two separate tax years. My questions to achieve this: 1) By transferring £20k to my unused 2024/2025 ISA allowance, am I right in thinking that no capital gains tax is due on this? 2) Can I transfer a further £20k to my wife’s unused 2024/25 ISA allowance, again with no capital gains tax due on this? 3) Presuming 1 and 2 above are permissible, can I then transfer the remaining shares into my 2025/26 ISA allowance as we enter the new tax year - again with no capital gains tax due? I would ensure I do 1, 2 and 3 within 90 days of each other, stretched over the cusp of the two tax years. If the above is not possible, what capital gains tax would I/we owe please? Thanks in advance for your help.