Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: VAT Fraud Report

It has been 5 months since I originally filled out a fraud report. 3 months since I have filled out a second fraud report. 2 months since I have commented here. I have still not even been contacted by HMRC in the matter. According to the company's policy, they have always been responsible for charging the customer's VAT and remitting it to HMRC. I have been screwed over by the company not charging buyers VAT, being forced to register for a VAT number by that same company. I filled out the application for VAT number, where it took a considerate amount of time to get responses and finally get a VAT number. When I got my VAT number, the first thing I was asked by HMRC was to file out a VAT return to file for all transactions since 2018 with a strict deadline that has caused lots of stress to complete since I never had the responsibility to keep these records. According to HMRC's policy, the company must keep full records for 6 years. However, only the past 2 years of records is actively available to me. The only reason that I was able to accomplish this task is because I never deleted any of my e-mails. I had all the links from the shipping labels and was able to manipulate the link to take me to the order details so I can add it to the spreadsheet. It was a pain having had to do that for each individual transaction, but after weeks I was finally able to get it done and submitted my VAT return, detailing each transaction that the company properly charged VAT, and each transaction that the company didn't charge VAT when they should have. I have paid out of pocket to make up for their company's mistake and I have reached out to customer support to address it. I have received a mix of responses from customer support agents, including giving me false information to try to shut me up instead of taking the issue seriously. After being tired of this, I have talked to an agent from HMRC Online and they told me that I should fill out a VAT fraud report which I had done April 3. I have submitted another one June 6 since it felt strange to go 3 months to not even receive an e-mail asking for more information on the issue as the fraud report didn't ask to upload any evidence, only a multiple choice question if I "had evidence" which I responded as yes. I have still kept escalating the issue with the company to have it resolved, only to be lied to and lack of action to have it resolved. After a while, the company claimed that the issue where they weren't charging VAT was fixed. When I went to test it out, I had a new issue. I had a message saying my VAT number info being wrong or missing when I have added it. I spent another few months contacting them regarding this, where now they want me to get a "VAT exemption certificate" from HMRC after dealing with all the trouble from getting a VAT number. I have gone through hoops to do everything right according to the company's and HMRC's policies but I'm the only one getting screwed over in the process. I have lost money paying out of pocket for the company's wrongdoings and continued losing money by not being able to make sales for many months. I am stuck between a company who had an agent explicitly try to justify the tax fraud by telling me that not charging buyers VAT is a "benefit to me as a seller" and the UK Tax Authority who has done absolutely nothing to get involved in this. I have yet to see the fraud team treating it with the seriousness it deserves. It would have taken 2 minutes to send an e-mail asking for evidence or ask for more information or anything, which HMRC has had many months to do so. I hope HMRC would start treating this matter properly since the current level of "seriousness" has been rather disappointing to say the least.
  • VAT Fraud Report

Hello, I have filled out the form on HMRC's website to report a company for committing VAT fraud, I have filled out one on April 3, 2024 and another one on June 6, 2024. I've had support agents falsify information and have all the transcripts documenting it. But I have yet to hear back from HMRC to follow up on my report. This just leaves me in a frustrating situation, where this has been damaging to my business, the company fails to take any responsibility for it, and HMRC seems to not get involved in the matter.