Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Confirmation of tax return receipt

We sent our paper partnership tax return to HMRC on 26/4/22 however a month later we still have not received any confirmation of receipt by HMRC, not on the government gateway online account, by post nor by email. Is this normal? How long should we expect to wait for a confirmation and how should we expect to receive it? Thanks
  • Partnership Self Assessment

My wife and I registered a partnership last year so we need to submit a tax return for it. We also need to submit individual self assessment tax returns. Am I correct in thinking for our individual tax returns we can simply use the online form through our Government Gateway accounts but for the partnership we will need to either submit a paper form through the post or use third party software to submit the tax return? Why is it not possible to have an online form for partnerships, the same as for individual tax returns? Also does it matter what sequence the 3 tax returns are submitted? Does the partnership tax return need to be submitted first as the individual tax returns reference the amounts on it? Thanks
  • RE: Business growing into wider areas

Thank you for your reply. Are there any guidelines as to what can classed as the same trade. All the services could be classed as 'business consultancy' so would this be satisfactory under a single partnership? Also how do I go about changing the name and purpose of the partnership? I tried to do this through my Government Gateway account for the partnership but the there were no editable fields for name and purpose. Would I therefore need to write to HMRC to do this?
  • Business growing into wider areas

My wife and I started a business partnership last year doing engineering consultancy. We now have the opportunity to do more general business consultancy with non-engineering organisations. Are we able to do this work under the same partnership by changing the purpose of the partnership to something more general like 'business consultancy services' or do we need to set up an additional partnership? When we first registered the partnership we stated the purpose as 'engineering consultancy'.
  • RE: Finding my Partnership UTR

I managed to get through to an agent (after 4 days of trying) and he was able to give me the UTR. Apparently I should have received a letter a month ago with the UTR and other information. He is going to resend the letter. Hopefully this one will arrive!

Just to be totally clear. Under 'Business Tax Summary' and then 'Track your forms' all the stage gates (i.e. received, work started, being processed, processing complete) are showing as green. I have not received any additional messages under the 'Messages' heading.

I have not received any correspondence for the partnership. The only thing I have received is a message in my Government Gateway Account stating the application had been fully processed. However this did not contain the UTR. I have tried opening a Web Chat all day for the last 2 days but I just get a message that all the advisors are currently busy. How long would it normally take to receive a correspondence with the UTR after an application has been fully processed. Currently it's been 6 weeks. Could it still be that the correspondence is yet to be sent?
  • Finding my Partnership UTR

Hi, I registered a partnership through my Government Gateway account 2 months ago. I received a message from HMRC informing me processing had been completed approximately 6 weeks ago. However the partnership details are not showing anywhere in my account and therefore I cannot add my partner to the partnership as I cannot find the UTR for the partnership that is required on the SA401 form. Please can someone advise where I can find the partnership UTR? Thanks
  • Claiming a portion of mortgage interest

My wife and I have started a partnership operating out of our home. Two rooms have been dedicated as studies for each of us for the partnership. Are we able to claim a portion of the mortgage interest on our home as expenses? Similarly can a portion of the council tax, broadband and utilities bills be claimed?
  • Partnership profit split

My wife and I both have PAYE jobs where I pay the higher rate of tax and she pays tax at the basic rate. We have recently started a partnership which will turnover about £6000 this year and make about £3000 in profit. Am I correct in thinking all of the profit can be allocated to my wife as long as we both agree, therefore being subject to tax at the basic rate rather than the higher rate?