Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• UK company listed overseas

WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
  • Fixed Deposit Interest across split year date

Hi HMRC, Before I moved to the UK, I started a 1 year Fixed Rate Deposit in a Hong Kong bank account. It only pays me interest on maturity. Before it matures, I moved to the UK and later became a UK resident. The fixed rate deposit matured and I received the interest. In my self assessment, I applied for Split Year Treatment. How much of this foreign interest should I report? Would it be the full amount I received on the maturity day or I can split the amount based on the overseas part and the UK part? Thank you.
  • Convert personal foreign savings to GBP

Hi HMRC, Before I moved to the UK, I have saved a lumpsum of money in Hong Kong dollar and it has been kept in a bank in Hong Kong. I received savings interest so I reported and paid income tax via self assessment since I have become a UK resident. Now, since I am living in the UK, I need to exchange that money to GBP to support my life. Would such a transaction have any CGT implication? That lumpsum may be large but the purpose of converting it into GBP is not for any gain from FX rate movement. If it is considered as a gain / loss, how would one determines the acquisition cost since that money has never been in GBP before and it was accumulated in many years and it was before I became a UK resident. Thank you.
  • Intestacy and domicile status

Hi, I read that deemed domicile is only for tax purposes. Does it mean a deceased who is neither domicile of origin nor domicile of choice of the UK will not follow UK intestacy rule even though he/she was a deemed domicile at the time of death?