Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Self-Assessment Tax Return: Moving Abroad Midway Through the Tax Year for Professional Purposes

Hello, I have received a letter titled "Notice to complete a Self Assessment tax return" for the 2023-2024 tax year. As I have never done this before, I would greatly appreciate some guidance regarding my situation below. I work in academia and work around the academic year, which does not match the April-April tax year in the UK. In the 2023-2024 tax year I changed countries as a result of my professional career. Specifically, in August 2023, I left my teaching position at a British university and moved to an Irish university in September 2023, which is the start of the academic year. I have lived and worked in Ireland since September 2023 up to now. My questions are: (1) could I please confirm with HMRC that I indeed need to do a self-assessment tax return? (2) from what I have seen online, I must first see if I am a resident or non-resident in the UK. This is my situation: I lived and worked in the UK from April 2023-August 2024 (5 months), but I secured a new teaching position in Ireland so I started to live and work in Dublin from the end of August 2023/beginning of September until today. Although I have occasionally come back to the UK for a weekend or the holidays since August 2023, I have not spent more than 183 days (6 months) in the UK during the period of April 2023-April 2024 (see: https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence). May I please seek clarification and support on the above. Many thanks in advance.