Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Starting Payroll Questions

Hi, I have a small business and for the first time have started employing someone, so I need to set up payroll. I can only apologise, but I have been very unorganised and should have set up payroll a few weeks ago - I have paid the employee for 4 weeks already, and for for various reasons have been meaning to get round to it but haven't yet. I appreciate this is very late to be doing this. The employee has sent me the 'Starter Checklist' as he does not have a P45 to give to me, so I have the information needed to start. From the gov.uk website, I believe I can use the 'HMRC's Basic PAYE Tools' software to do all the payroll calculations for tax and NI etc. When I look at the web page describing this software, it says before I start I need to be registered as an employer, and have a login for PAYE Online. So I have gone to my self assessment account, and clicked on the link which says 'get access to a tax, duty, or scheme'. When I click on this, there is an option to add 'PAYE for employers', which I click on. Then it asks if I have an employer PAYE reference, I click no. It then asks only two options: if my business has directors or partners. It has neither, I am a sole trader. So I'm not sure where to go from here as I feel these options don't apply to me. I appreciate I might be doing this wrong. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.