Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Government Bond Interest

Dear Sir, Thank you for your reply and understood you can't advise the specific question. So, I break it to simple questions. 1) Lost in DDS investment, should it report in self assessment? 2) gain or lost, it counts for whole tax year or each deal? best regards 

Name removed admin .

Dear sir, I understood it is DDS and tax as income. The questions I still need to clear before return assessment as follwoing 1) regarding the previous sample, Is calculation corrected? (I bought on Dec/2022 US treasure bond Face value of USD100,000 by cost of USD98,222. and equal to GBP 86,684 (exchange rate of @1.1331 by Oct/2022 monthly average rate). It's maturity dated 15 Nov/2023 and redeemed USD100,000 and equal to GBP77,603. (exchange rate :@1.2886 by Aug/2023) I found it lost GBP9,081. ) 2) losses cannot be deducted Count as each deal? (counts the gained deals only and dismiss the loss deal.) or count as whole tax year? (count Gains and losses annually) e.g. I invested 2 deals, one gains GBP1000, the other loss GBP400, should I just report the gained one (GBP1,000) or report 2 deals annually, totally gains GBP600 (1000-400) Best regards edmund

Dear Sir, Thank your for your advice. I regret that I still confuse after read the HS343. Following is the case, would you pleased to advise your comment? I bought on Dec/2022 US treasure bond Face value of USD100,000 by cost of USD98,222. and equal to GBP 86,684 (exchange rate of @1.1331 by Oct/2022 monthly average rate). It's maturity dated 15 Nov/2023 and redeemed USD100,000 and equal to GBP77,603. (exchange rate :@1.2886 by Aug/2023) I found it lost GBP9,081. May I know if it is capital loss or income loss? Which the box should I input the data? Best regards Edmund

Dear Sir, Than you for your prompt reply. Considering the different exchange rates, if it finds lost, should it claims the lost in investment? or how to express it? pls advise, thanks! Best regards Edmund

Dera sir, Regarding the bond investment, how to claim the prepaid accrued interest and the lost when redemption? Best regards Edmund

Dear Sir, Regarding the non-UK bond investment currency exchange, should it use different exchange rate as buy and redemption? e.g. I bought the bond on year 2022 and redeemed on year 2023, my buying cost counts as the rate in year 2022 and the return counts as the rate in year 2023? Bestregards Edmund
  • RE: buying and selling Gilt in secondary market

Dear Sir, Is the gilt DDS? Thank you!
  • RE: Currency Exchange (gain and loss)

Dear sirs, I bought 100000 gbp by @1.23 usd for buying property. But the deal failed, and now I exchange the gbp back to usd by @1.26. By usd, I gain 3000 usd but by gbp, I gain zero. How do I report the CGT?

Does the Gilt treat as deeply discount security also? The difference upon redemption should be taxed as Gct or income tax?
  • RE: Interest on foreign bond investments

Dear Sir, If the bond buying price is higher than face value, how to report the difference when redemption? claim lost or claim relief? Best regards edmund