Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Tax relief on pension contributions for high earners

    I pay into a workplace pension after tax is deducted from my salary each month (relief at source). I pay MORE into the pension this way than the portion of my earnings that are subject to higher rate tax. I understand I can claim the additional 20% relief (20% to 40%) on those earnings that are subject to higher rate tax. I am struggling to find the portion of the self assessment return where I capture this. All the guidance I have sought online just says "fill in the appropriate part of your self assessment return". I am guessing it is part of the "Paying into registered pension schemes and overseas pension schemes" section, where eligible options could be: -Payments to registered pension schemes (Also known as PPR) where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider, or -Payments to your employer's scheme which were not deducted from your pay before tax Can you also confirm I take the earnings that are subject to higher rate tax, divide by 80 and multiply by 100 to arrive at the figure that I am claiming the extra relief on?