Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Inheritance tax pensions form IHT409

Does the inheritance tax pensions form IHT409 need to be filled in for a widow's pension? Many thanks
  • Inheritance tax reference number

I was given a house over 20 years ago by a parent who has recently died. I know this is a gift with reservation of benefits as they continued to live in the house without meeting the rules for paying rent. So I need to fill in inheritance tax forms. With my parent's nil rate band and residence nil rate band ( as it was not an outright gift), plus as they were a widow, their spouse's transferred nil rate band and transferred residence nil rate band ( everything was left to my parent), I should have nothing to pay. So do I still need to apply for an inheritance tax reference? Or do I just send off forms without tax reference? Am getting help with forms so should I wait till accountant has done calculations, then later apply for reference if needed, or apply for one anyway even if fairly sure no payment will be needed? Many thanks
  • Question about form IHT400

Please can someone help with page 4 of form IHT400 as I find it quite confusing. "Items referred to in the will but not included in the estate" Box 28 - "Items referred to in the will and not included on this form. Any gifts should be shown on form IHT403" Form IHT403 refers to gifts made 7 years before death and gifts with reservation of benefit. So if filling in box 28 on page 4 of IHT400, does one put any gifts made over 7 years ago ( potentially exempt transfers), or just gifts made within 7 years and gifts with reservation of benefit? Many thanks