Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Paying tax and NI on a one of earning

Many thanks, that is very helpful.

Many thanks for your continued assistance on this, but I am still not sure that I have an answer that covers off my query. The 15K was paid to me in full as a one of consultancy fee. I assume I will need to register as self employed, albeit that this is never going to occur again. So for clarity, my question is, how do I declare this one of earning, how do I pay the required tax on it, what NI liability will I have, and how do I pay it. I have paid NI for all of the required years and so I was hoping that I might not have any liability, but I just want to do the right thing. This is all new to me as I have been PAYE for the last 25 years or so and don't know how this all works.

Thank you for your response, I am grateful. I still don't know what I should do though. The assessment tool does not account for the fact that I am in receipt of a private pension, and therefore calculates my tax liability as though I am only earning 15K. I am in receipt of a private pension, coupled with this 15K one of earning I will still be within the 20% tax range. My query is, how do I declare this 15K, pay tax on it, pay national insurance on it, and what the rate of NI will be.

Many thanks for your response, I am grateful, however, you have advised on the part that I already understand. I am interested to understand how I go about paying tax and national insurance on the once only earning of 15K, and what the rates will be on the national insurance element. I know I will need to pay 20% tax on this sum as I have already reached the tax threshold with my pension, but don't know what I need to do to make this happen, how to pay, and what the national insurance liability will be.
  • Paying tax and NI on a one of earning

I am retired, but not yet receiving the statutory pension, only my private pension. I have recently earned a one of, not to be repeated, 15K payment. This still keeps me in the 20% tax bracket. How do I pay tax and national insurance on this, and how much is that likely to be?