Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Change to freelancer

Hi, I've been working as an employee for the past 10 years and been paid via PAYE.I've been submitting self assessment tax return as well and now I'm planning to work as a freelancer for a change. My questions are: 1. Is it correct that I don't need to inform HMRC about the change until my next tax return in section SA103? 2. If that's the case, would this affect my qualification on the 30hrs free childcare (given that I'll be earning above the threshold) as HMRC won't receive my NI contributions until the next tax return? Thanks in advance.
  • RE: Split year treatment - moving abroad but working for the same uk employer

Thanks. This is helpful. However, on the page you shared for P85, it does state: You do not need to fill in this form if you are sending a Self Assessment tax return for the tax year that you leave the UK. I am currently also sending a self assessment tax return for a directory fee that I’m paid besides my salary. So do I still need to submit the P85 in this case? If not, I’m wondering how my P60 would reflect my departure as I do use the figures on my P60 to file my tax return. Many thanks.
  • Split year treatment - moving abroad but working for the same uk employer

Hi, I've been a UK resident for over 10 years and now planning to move abroad in Jan 2025 for at least 3 years. My current employer agrees that I can continue working for them remotely after my move and they will pay my salary to my uk bank account as it is through PAYE. Provided that I will be entitled the split year treatment from my departure for tax year 2024 - 2025, will I be able to ask my employer to stop paying my NI & tax under this circumstance ? or will I need to then file a self assessment and claim the overpaid tax back ? Many thanks.