Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: SAYE to SIPP transfer (via in-specie or "Bed and SIPP")

Hi, can some admin please respond to this query posted last week ? It would be much appreciated . Thanks
  • SAYE to SIPP transfer (via in-specie or "Bed and SIPP")

I have a Save As You Earn (SAYE) scheme which is coming to an end in late October and having potential capital gains of c £27k , and I plan to transfer some of those shares to a SIPP as mentioned at https://www.gov.uk/tax-employee-share-schemes/save-as-you-earn-saye. I want to understand a few technical nuances related to it. 1) Most of the UK registered brokers are only offering to do a “Bed and SIPP” (essentially selling shares and immediately buying them back in a SIPP), instead of in-specie transfer of shares from Sharesave scheme to a SIPP. In both ways same number of shares are transferred over to a SIPP in the end. So does this "Bed and SIPP" transaction trigger a Capital gains tax when transferring to a SIPP from sharesave, even though UK govt link I pasted clearly shows that SAYE shares to pension are not liable for a CGT ? 2) In the in-specie transfer of shares from Sharesave to SIPP, does this provide same tax relief as it would when it is done via using cash/money transfer to a SIPP ? Thank you