Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: HMRC Cheque Clearance Process

Just to add. I have been trying to resolve this for over a year. Many many calls. Two attempts at waiting for the cheque which never arrived and had to be cancelled. Postal system in South Africa is bankrupt and cannot be relied on. Asked HMRC to use a courier but to no avail. Tried again and again at persuading an electronic transfer but all falling on deaf ears. In the end I had to create a temporary forwarding UK street address through Anytime Mailbox. HMRC posted the cheque to this address and I then had it couriered to me in South Africa. Then I faced 'no cheques taken anymore' in South Africa (since 2021). Fortunately, for foreign cheques there was still the minimum in place

Hi HMRC Admin 20 Regarding your reply ' I am sorry but the options for a repayment are to open a UK bank account or send to a nominee with a UK bank account', I'm afraid this advise is not correct in my particular case and you should check your process options again. My bank in South Africa was able to successfully courier the cheque BACK to HMRC (or their bank) for clearance. Presumably a normal process for cheques where there is no other arrangement in the banking system from one country to another. My question was which bank did HMRC use and the UK address but my bank here must have been able to eventually work this out. The cheque was cleared by HMRC's bank (?) and my bank here duly paid the amount into my account. HMRC processes discriminate against those who live overseas and have no further contact back home. Also, need to move with the times, and allow electronic payment as many other countries no longer accept cheques. This is the case in South Africa but the banks still have something in place for foreign cheques BUT a prior clearance is needed.

I have no UK bank account. Cannot open one. I also have no one I can nominate in the UK. Why do you presume I have these options? Please offer options that I can comply with
  • RE: HMRC cheque for tax refund

I enquired previously how a cheque sent by HMRC could be paid-in when I live overseas and have NO links in the UK and when cheques are no longer accepted in my country of residence. The response was that nothing could be done. HMRC will NOT pay electronically for an old (2021) refund. Cancelling the cheque will make no difference. Anyway, in the end, I took it to a bank here in South Africa and they said the cheque would have to be sent back to HMRC (i.e. to their issuing bank) for clearance first. It was couriered all the way back to HMRC, and expecting a brick wall, it was, surprisingly, processed and cleared. My bank here has now paid the amount into my account. So, it is possible and a pity that the only response provided by HMRC was that it has to be paid/cashed in or from the UK
  • HMRC Cheque Clearance Process

I have a cheque from HMRC (tax refund). I live abroad. Bank here has to send cheque to the Drawer's bank or the issuing/paying bank, i.e. HMRC's bank. To which address in the UK is the cheque sent to?
  • How to pay-in HMRC Cheque from overseas

I have an HMRC cheque which I want to pay into my account in South Africa. The bank here says the cheque will have to be posted back to the HMRC bank for it to be cleared. Will the HMRC Bank accept a scanned version of the cheque?
  • RE: HMRC cheque for tax refund

I have the same question as the above post regarding Personal Tax Account and the ability to receive a tax refund electronically. I also cannot find this anywhere. I have a refund from 2021 but where I live (South Africa) banks no longer accept physical cheques. I also have no UK bank account nor have anyone I can nominate to accept the cheque on my behalf. Please help