Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: CGT on general investment account

Hi HMRC, Would you clarify whether I need to report on tax return the following: 1. If Dividend I receive is less than the dividend allowance ( £500 for the tax year 2024/25) 2. If capital gains I receive is less than the Capital gains allowance ( £3000 for the tax year 2024/25) Thanks
  • RE: CGT on general investment account

Thank you. I note the following point from your link: QUOTE Disposals must be identified with acquisitions of shares of the same class, see CG50203 acquired by the same person in the same capacity, and acquired within the 30 days after the disposal. UNQUOTE Does this mean I can acquire same shares within 30 days prior and then sell the stocks previously held . From reading the HMRC manual I can see that there is only restrictions for acquiring 30 days after the initial disposal of shares. Would you kindly clarify please thanks
  • CGT on general investment account

I have made a profit of around £2000 in a fund I hold in a general investment account in an investment platform. Am I able to sell this to harvest the gain of CGT allowance this tax year and then buy back the same fund immediately ? if I intend to buy a similar fund , but not same as I sold, is that allowed ? Is it allowed to buy a fund in general investment account before selling the investment to harvest the CGT allowance ? I understand wash sale rule is applicable only in harvesting CGT losses. is this correct ? Thanks