Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Business mileage from home to various sites

So the rules are different for peripatetic workers. Who determines who a peripatetic worker is?

It is extremely confusing and frustrating. On one hand they are saying if you go to the office less than 40% of your working week and only for incidental jobs (filing, picking up PPE, picking up labels for a service user) then that is classed as a temporary place of work but now if you have access to a desk (we have 1 desk shared by 23 Reablement workers), spend 30 minutes a week there and do nothing , then that is your permanent place of work even though you don't commute there. So back to my issue where someone who lives in the same town as the office claims all his mileage but according to the rule on commuting, I have to deduct the distance from home to the office from the distance I travel to my first call and I assume, because I don't travel to the office, I have to deduct it from my journey home as well. So RCSW A can claim all his mileage, despite not going into the office but I can only claim for a fraction, despite doing the same calls. My brain hurts.

Thank you but I am no clearer as to where I can claim from. As I see it, despite the office being my 'normal place of work' I spend much less than 40% of my working week there and attend only for temporary purposes. My weekly assignments are sent to me electronically and I report back to the relevant people electronically. Do I therefore class my first journey of the day, which is direct to a service user, as work and therefore able to claim this mileage as tax free? Take into account that I will very rarely visit the office during a normal working day. As I understand it, if we were classed as peripatetic workers (and I still maintain that this is what we are), then I would claim all my mileage from home. The spanner in the works appears to be that someone has decreed that we have a 'normal base of work' and this is the area office in Welshpool. My efforts to track down this person have been unsuccessful.

Hi. I am employed by local government as a Reablement and Care Support worker. My duties mean that I leave home and travel direct to service users then back home. Occasionally I will go into the office to do an audit or maybe a bit of filing. My contract gives the office as 'normal place of work' and we have been told that we have to use the office as location for mileage claims. I have tried to get this changed so that we can claim mileage from home. As it stands, because of the rule about deducting 'normal commute' from my first journey, I clocked 475 miles of work mileage last month but can only claim 58 of these as tax free. There are employees who live in the same town as the office who do the same journeys as me and claim all the miles travelled. I have argued that as we leave home before the office is open, work weekends, public holidays and evenings when the office is shut, we can't treat the office as normal place of work. Where do I stand?