Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Do I need to declare held foreign assets?

Hi, Thank you very much, but unfortunately this link doesn't seem to answer my question, sorry about that! I was asking if as I am a British citizen if the UK/HMRC needs informed of foreign assets I hold, but have not sold yet, e.g. if I have to inform the UK/HMRC that I have US stock provided by my employer or that I have a foreign bank account with foreign currency. From my understanding I do not have to, unless a taxable event happens, such as capital gains or interest generation (and only if I was a UK resident at the time of the taxable event). However, is there a need to inform the UK/HMRC of these held/owned assets? And if so, what is the process to do so?
  • RE: Do I need to declare held foreign assets?

Just a small ping to ask for a reply to my above question if at all possible!
  • Do I need to declare held foreign assets?

Hi, I am a British citizen, living and working abroad in Sweden and I've been a non-resident since I left the UK from my understanding (using split-year treatment and not overstaying in the UK). As part of my employment, I receive foreign stock (US stock), do I have obligations to report the holding of this foreign stock to the UK/HMRC as I am a British Citizen even if I am a non-resident? if my situation changed and I became a resident would I have to report the holding of this stock to the UK/HMRC? And would this or other rules for reporting apply to other foreign assets such as a foreign bank account? Or would the only thing the UK/HMRC be interested in is the capital gains/losses and/or interest, dividends and income accrued from the holding of, receival and sale of the foreign assets (and not the assets I hold themselves) if I became a resident in the UK again? Basically wondering if there is some process to register the ownership of foreign stock/assets that I may have to provide to the UK. Best Regards. Andrew
  • RE: Questions on Foreign Currency Taxation

Hi, Thank you very much for the answers, but would you please be able to answer the above questions I asked individually and directly as if I were a resident, I need to be aware of where I stand with respect to tax in the UK.

Hi, I have referred to the document and read it, but I would still very much appreciate answers to the above questions if that's possible! Thank you for nay help you can provide.

Hi, Thank you, what happens if you are a UK resident for tax purposes?
  • Questions on Foreign Currency Taxation

Hi, I have a few questions relating to foreign currency and foreign bank accounts. I am unsure if this is the best part of the forum for it. I am British citizen that's left the UK to work abroad for a few years. However, I was wondering if there is a need to declare foreign bank accounts I have to HMRC, similar to in the US? And if so, how to do so? Or is simply stating the foreign interest and other income etc. that has been gained through out the year enough? Are foreign currency expenditures/withdrawals from a foreign bank considered taxable gains? Where the deposited income is from employment salary and interest, which has already been taxed/stated on the return. Does foreign income from employment incur taxable gains (via expenditure or otherwise)? Or do I only pay income tax on it? Does transference of foreign currency from a foreign bank account to my UK bank account (both held in my name, where the foreign currency has already been stated on previous years tax returns and had tax paid on it) incur a taxable event in anyway? e.g. taxable gains or otherwise.