Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Separation of foreign and domestic income with relation to VAT

    I'm a sole trader whose taxable domestic turnover is below the 85,000 VAT threshold. However, when including payments from foreign, VAT-exempt clients, my turnover crosses the threshold. How do I account for this when completing my self-assessment to avoid inadvertently being flagged as VAT eligible? I initially thought I would have to post my foreign turnover separately in the foreign section of self-assessment, but having read this forum, it appears this section is only relevant when the foreign income has been taxed at source and you are seeking relief. My foreign income has not yet been taxed and I must pay UK tax on this, but I still wish to identify it as international income in order to flag it as VAT exempt. How must I do this?