Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Confused as to HMRC calculations for voluntary class 2 and 3 shortfalls

Thank you for the prompt reply. Can you tell me if I also need to include employment details of work I did before I left the UK? I worked short periods of time in a variety of different places as a student, some of which no longer exist. I'd assume hmrc have records of these since I have 3 years on my record. Many thanks.
  • Confused as to HMRC calculations for voluntary class 2 and 3 shortfalls

Hi, Would be very grateful if someone can give me some clarity! I'm a UK citizen, I've been living in Spain since I was 21 and working on and off for employers since then (33 years). I applied with the CF83 to pay nics, and included all my employment details. HMRC replied with a list of mixed class 2 and 3 shortfall rates from 2006 to now. I don't understand what the criteria are for paying the different rates. Without going into too much detail, an example would be: 2014-15 I worked a total of 10 weeks and am being asked to pay class 3 for 52 weeks of that year. 2020-2021, I also worked some 10 weeks and am asked for 10 weeks at class 3, and 42 weeks at class 2. 2019-2020 I only worked 12 days but am offered class 2 rate. I don't think I made mistakes in giving my employment record, so I don't understand how it's calculated and if I need to ask for a revision. Thanks for any advice!