Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Self assessment for child benefit tax

    Hi there, I need to fill in a self assessment this year as my partner and I claim child benefit and my salary is over £50,100. I am hoping you can help me answer the following questions in order to continue: 1. Do I include private medical and dental cover (benefit in kind) if they are payrolled? 2. Do I declare free shares that have been received and sold as part of a Share Incentive Plan (SIP) through my employer? Since the shares were processed via my normal PAYE, I paid the necessary Income tax and NIC on them already. If the answer to the question above is "Yes", is there a dedicated place on the tax return to offset the tax due with the amount I paid already? 3. Why am I being asked to pay student finance on this since I pay this monthly via PAYE? It's down as "plus Student Loan repayments (plan 01)". As a test, I removed the money received from shares and dividends and it still was fixed at £41.00. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks, Sean