Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Business mileage from home to various sites

Sorry you have completely not understood or answered the question, This has nothing to do with BIK as it's a personal car and I pay my own fuel. Please revised the questions please and answer based on my scenario. Many thanks
  • RE: Business mileage from home to various sites

Greetings, I'd like some clarity, please. I have a six-month contract inside IR35 under an umbrella company, my registered place of work in my contract and main office is in Reading but I live in South Wales. For any commute to Reading and Hotels etc I do not charge back the company and comes out of my pocket. However, I do travel occasionally to a temporary workplace in South Wales as the company has another office there and perform workshops etc. With a previous employer when claiming mileage I had to use the office address which at that time was five miles away and then from their claim mileage even though I was never in that office as always on the client site, essentially deducting personal mileage. They said I must do it for tax purposes. In the case of my current arrangement, the office is 122 miles away and my actual commute is 21 miles, if I followed the logic of my previous employer. Should I use the Reading Office postcode as my starting location and claim the mileage from Reading to South Wales even though I've only made the journey of 20 miles but in effect would claim 100 miles? I find some of this stuff ambiguous and confusing and what I really need to know in addition, to the previous question is where I have a permanent place of work in my contract and travel there. Should all expense claims for a personal car be from the registered/permanent place of work to the location I travel to despite not actually travelling directly from that location? Many thanks