Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: RSU vested one tax year, but not recorded in the next years PAYE.

Thanks, if I include it in the Tips and other payment section, won't I end up having to pay any extra tax due on it twice? as it'll be both added into this years tax return, plus included in next years P60? Also, why do I need to fill out the claim credit for the Tax in the foreign section? from what I'm told from other employees who also do self-assessments, they just put the P60 numbers in and that's it, as I work for a UK company and whilst the stock are for a US listed company, we have completed a W-8BEN which I think means we don't need to fill this section in. Can you confirm please? Thanks for the help
  • RSU vested one tax year, but not recorded in the next years PAYE.

I receive an RSU equity reward with my UK employer of their US listed stock. My employer deducts the relevant amount of UK taxes due from this stock on my behalf before I receive the reward, so I only receive a % of it, Then on my payslip I see both the reward, plus an increase in income tax paid that month to cover the extra tax (which matches the amount they withheld) The stock does not pay dividends, and I've completed my W-8BEN, so I don't think I need to pay any US tax, and I don't think I need to worry about any capital gains tax until I sell or trade the stock I have (let me know if presumption is wrong please!) Now my worry is that my payslips aways seem to be a month behind, so for example, the RSU may vest on March 20th, but it won't be in March's payslip, and will instead be in April's payslip with all the relevant taxes deducted and paid. This usually isn't an issue, but obviously for March it is because it means it technically vested one tax year, but my payslip/P60 that covers it will be in the next tax year. In this scenario how do I complete my self-assessment? should I just go with what my P60 says as that's when they actually paid the tax for me, or do I need to do some manual tinkering to work out how much it was (probably waiting for April's payslip) then retroactively add that to this years self-assessment, and if so, where would I record it? I'm worried my P60 won't align with my self-assessment for that employment, if go manually moving thing across. thanks in advance.