Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Rental Income from foreign property

I have a Japan residential apartment renting out with monthly mortgage. The whole rental arrangement was outsourced to a Japan rental management company and I will be received rents minus all charges/fees/expenses/withholding tax/Japanese taxes two times a year (June and December) I would like to know in this case should I declare rental income only when I receive the payment? Or I have to estimate the accrued monthly rent as I would not have any actual payment details for Jan-Mar 2024 And for converting Japanese yen income into pounds, should I use the fx rate when I receive the payment (i.e. end of June and end of December) or have to use monthly fx rate for each months Since there is a couple of fees/charges/expenses, I would like to know which one below will be allowable expenses for tax deductions and how much allowed. A) letting agent fee B) building management fee C) bank Transfer fee D) fixed asset city planing tax E) tax accounting fee F) insurance premium G) building depreciation expense H) mortgage interest expense I) Tax Expenses J) Withholding Tax / Return of Withholding Tax if actual tax expense is not allowable expense
  • Foreign Employment and FX issue

I have a couple of questions on foreign employment income and FX rate to use in converting into GBP. I came to UK with the BNO Visa from Hong Kong, but I still work for my HK employer so far. I understand I have to do the self assessment for the foreign income including employment, saving and bond interest, dividends as well as capital gain on investments. However, there are a couple of questions on the details for the self assessment I would like to understand 1) For employment income from HK, should I declare salary before MPF (mandatory provident fund contribution required by HK government) or after MPF as the gross income before NIC and Tax? And if declare salary before MPF, would there be a tax relief/credit for the MPF contribution? 2) a) For the non-GBP saving interests, coupon interests from foreign corporate bonds and dividends from non-UK company stocks investments, what foreign exchange rates should I be using? Is there a reference rate I could utilise? Or any reliable and respectable source should suffice e.g. Bloomberg, Banks etc. b) When converting foreign incomes(interests, coupon, dividends etc) into GBP, should I use the FX rate on that specific day or month end FX rate or Year End FX rate (i.e. 5th April) 3)For dividends, I understand that I have to declare the gross dividend before withholding tax, but is there any withholding tax relief/credit?