Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Section 104 holdings

Hi Admin, Following up on this question, I have a similar situation on stock awards received from my employer over the years. My US stock broker provides me with the ability to pick and choose the stocks I can sell in the pool, along with a clear visibility into the purchase price of that stock. If I apply the Sec 104 rule, my CGT is almost double which is a unreasonable impact when I can conclusively demonstrate which tranche i have sold. For eg: my avg price of the pool is GBP 132 and I have sold some of the stocks from the pool which were purchased at GBP 250 and the Sale price is GBP 300 per stock. I have clear documentation from the broker account on the purchase price of the stock as i have selected those tranches. With sec 104 my per stock CGT is (300-132) whereas in reality it should be (300-250). Can I use the latter for calculating the CGT and provide the necessary documentation in the tax filing ?
  • Treaty Residence and CGT

Hi, I am classed as a treaty resident of my home country for the previous tax year as I arrived in UK midway in the tax year. Hence my home country has classed me as a tax resident where I have to pay the full tax. I have sold a property and some stocks last year during the time I was here in UK, do I need to report the gains here as I have paid the foreign tax already and I am a treaty resident of my home country
  • RE: Non Resident Self Assessment

Ill rephrase the question again - Does the residency status rules in DTAA between India an UK override the SRT ? which takes precendence?
  • RE: Non Resident Self Assessment

Hi Thanks for the response. However the response is not answering the question which is as follows : If I am considered a treaty resident of my home country for the full year, then do I need to declare my non UK income? As far as I understand, the treaty overrides SRT.
  • Non Resident Self Assessment

Hi HRMC admin, I arrived the UK in Sept 2022 and I have UK income for the tax year 2022-23 from the time I arrived here. At first, I thought I would need to submit a tax return via self-assessment and apply for the split year treatment, hence I opted in for self-assessment with the reason of having foreign income during Sept 22 to Apr 2023. However, when I used checked the DTAA with my home country it turns out I am a treaty resident for the previous year. My personal tax account states i dont need to pay any taxes as everything was PAYE. Hence I would like to understand, in my case, may I know if I still need to action as below: 1) submit the tax return (2022-23) and apply for split year treatment for HRMC to file the record 2) provide evidence or submit any form to confirm my non-UK residence status 3) Pay any tax on foreign income even if it is established I am not a tax resident last FY ?