Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Treaty Residence and CGT

Hi, I am classed as a treaty resident of my home country for the previous tax year as I arrived in UK midway in the tax year. Hence my home country has classed me as a tax resident where I have to pay the full tax. I have sold a property and some stocks last year during the time I was here in UK, do I need to report the gains here as I have paid the foreign tax already and I am a treaty resident of my home country
  • RE: Non Resident Self Assessment

Ill rephrase the question again - Does the residency status rules in DTAA between India an UK override the SRT ? which takes precendence?
  • RE: Non Resident Self Assessment

Hi Thanks for the response. However the response is not answering the question which is as follows : If I am considered a treaty resident of my home country for the full year, then do I need to declare my non UK income? As far as I understand, the treaty overrides SRT.
  • Non Resident Self Assessment

Hi HRMC admin, I arrived the UK in Sept 2022 and I have UK income for the tax year 2022-23 from the time I arrived here. At first, I thought I would need to submit a tax return via self-assessment and apply for the split year treatment, hence I opted in for self-assessment with the reason of having foreign income during Sept 22 to Apr 2023. However, when I used checked the DTAA with my home country it turns out I am a treaty resident for the previous year. My personal tax account states i dont need to pay any taxes as everything was PAYE. Hence I would like to understand, in my case, may I know if I still need to action as below: 1) submit the tax return (2022-23) and apply for split year treatment for HRMC to file the record 2) provide evidence or submit any form to confirm my non-UK residence status 3) Pay any tax on foreign income even if it is established I am not a tax resident last FY ?
  • Treaty Resdience

Hello HMRC, I arrived from India in UK on 29th Sept 2022 and started working for the UK employer from 7th Oct 2022. For this fiscal year, I qualify for the split year treatment as per the guidance for the time starting 7th Oct 2022 to 5th April 2023 and I am a resident in UK and for this same time I am also a resident of India as per the India Income Tax laws. However in the UK/India DTAA document listed below, reference Article 4 (2c), I understand if a individual is a resident of both Contracting states, then the residency will be established where ever he is a national. In this case I am a national of India. Could you confirm is the above assessment is correct and for the split year portion of fiscal year 2022-2023 as explained in para 1 above, I am a non UK resident for taxation as the DTAA - as explained in para 2 - overrides the SRT. 
  • Deferred Salary payment

Hello HMRC Hi I arrived from India in UK on 29th Sept 2022 and started working for the UK employer from 7th Oct 2022. I qualify for the split year treatment as per the guidance. However, the final salary and settlement of my employer from India was received on 28th October 2022 in my Indian bank account whilst I was working in UK. This is technically the wages from my India split year which was received in the UK part of the split year. Will this be counted as Worldwide income and any tax implication if I remit this to UK when this pertains FOR the non resident part of the year. I do understand any gains which I may get on this income needs to be declared, but what about the principal? Thanks in advance