Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: UK Tax on Australian Superannuation

This income stream is not an Australian Government Pension. I believe it is somewhat similar to a UK workplace pension, however the scheme is taxed on any amounts going into the superannuation and on any capital gains and is therefore tax free once you reach 60 and have retired from the workforce. One can then receive a monthly income stream tax free or receive a lump sum or withdraw the whole amount, all tax free while residing in Australia. Surely if the UK taxed this again it would be double taxation?Also would this capital amount of superannuation be subject to UK inheritance tax if I resided in the UK?
  • RE: UK Tax on Australian Superannuation

Being a UK expat living in Australia for the last 30 years, thinking about retiring in UK in a couple of years once I turn 60 looking at a scenario of having $1,000,000 in a Superannuation income stream account which is tax free in Australia and withdrawing 5%pa of total back to UK each year( approx GBP 25,000pa) ,what tax if any would I be looking at paying in the UK per year?