Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Non UK resident working for a UK company wanting to set up a UK sole trader company

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Just to be very sure. Can you confirm you did mean ' She can be employed by a UK employer or undertake work for clients as self employed"? Thanks
  • Non UK resident working for a UK company wanting to set up a UK sole trader company

My Fiance is a German national. I am a UK national. I have recently relocated to Indonesia working in the marine industry (partly because it's easier to be there together than it is in the UK or EU post Brexit). I now pax tax in Indonesia as this is where my contract is based. My fiance also now lives in Indonesia with a visa that allows her to work remotely for company's outside of Indonesia (so called digital nomad visa). She recently completed her Phd in biochemistry and she has been offered a freelance contract for UK based research company focusing on clinical trial development for spinal injury cures. She now needs to either set up a solo trader company in the EU or the UK. We do plan - post wedding - to work out a way to be in the UK so it would be great if she can, if possible, start building a footprint/paying tax there while she works for a UK based client overseas. I understand she can set up a company in company house but a bank account is more challenging as she does not have a UK address . Question 1 - Would she only pay tax in the UK if the income lands in a UK account?(I have read this as YES from what I can see on threads). Question 2 - Are there any UK tax concerns she needs to be aware of IF she sets up a EU company and lands income in the EU from the UK? Question 3 - If she managed to create a bank account in the UK under her company would she need a NI number for tax self declaration? If there is anything else we should take into account that would also be very helpful. Thanks.