Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Payment flow to recover additional rate tax from pension contributions

Could you please advise on how payment works to recover additional rate tax from pension contributions. If I recover basic rate tax on personal pension I pay the net amount into my pension and my provider recovers 20% from HMRC and adds to the pension account. If I want to claim additional rate tax as well do I pay in the net amount + additional tax amount then provider automatically recovers the basic rate, and I claim back a refund from HMRC as cash (ie not in my pension)? example: 1. I want to contribute £60k gross (assuming I have sufficient income and have not made other contributions in year) 2. I pay in £48k (80%) of gross, 3. My pension company auto claims £12k (20%=basic rate) and adds to the pension. 4. I make a claim through Self assessment or by contacting HMRC to reclaim £15k (25%= higher and additional rate) 5. HMRC sends payment to me as payment/chq refund which I treat as cash outside the pension. Could you please confirm that is right, so I can make the right net contribution into the pension. thank you.