Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• NFT VAT and Taxation for creators

Hello I am hoping you can give me some guidance on NFT tax and VAT. 1. VAT I have read the current version of Cryptoassets Manual as well as searched the forum for similar questions. It seems that at the moment HMRC has not given any clear guidance/taken any stance on whether VAT is applicable to NFTs. My question is, once the guidance is published, will the rules be applied retrospectively? for example: If I create and sell my art as NFTs now, will I in 6 months or 1 years or when the rules are released, be faced with an extra tax, VAT, which at the moment appears to be not applicable? 2. Taxation for creators Furthermore, I am hoping for some further guidance on my tax liability as a creator of NFT's with the underlying asset being art (and assuming ownership of the underlying IP is not transfered to the customer), am i liable for CGT or Income Tax? Does my creation and sale of a collection of 5000 or 10000 images constitute as "trading" and am thus liable for income tax? Many thanks, Giovanni