Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Sale of Overseas Property

Happy New Year! Thank you for your reply. I try to finish my self assessment tax return and would like to have your advice before submission. 1. For SA108, as I can claim full Private Residence Relief, is it correct that I only need to fill in PRR in Box 8 and explain my situation in Box 56 as additional information? Do I need to provide any proof such as sales agreement of the property? 2. I have about GBP1,000 overseas bank interest for year 2022/2023. I need to declare it in SA106. 3. For the split year treatment, I need to fill in SA109. Please advise if the above understanding is correct. Thank you very much.
  • RE: Sale of Overseas Property

Thank you for your advice. Based on my understanding, because the Hong Kong property that I had before was my main residence since August 2007, therefore, I can claim Private Residence Relief. Also, please be advised that I did not need to pay on my gain in Hong Kong. Under this situation, should my gain be declared on SA108 for tax year 2022-2023? Thank you.
  • Sale of Overseas Property

I moved to the UK in August 2022 using BNO 5+1 visa effective on 5 April 2022. I had a property in Hong Kong since Aug 2007 and this is my only residence. I sold the property in Sept 2022 and all the money from this sale was received in January 2023. I am going to fill the self-assessment. I would like to have your advice whether the capital gain from this sale needs to be reported in tax year 2022-2023? Thank you very much.