Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Declaring rent a room income when it is below taxable limit

I would just like to clarify this before I start on my tax return. Following on from the question from Laura Ford, and the answer to it: * My wife and I, as joint owners, received rental income that was below our tax free allowance (less than £3,750 each). * According to the Rent a Room page, we do not need to take any action: "The tax exemption is automatic if you earn less than £7,500. This means you do not need to do anything. If you earn more than this you must complete a tax return." But, as I already complete a tax return each year, do I have to include the income and claim relief under the rent a room scheme? Or do I simply ignore the income as long as it stays below my allowance?
  • RE: Declaring rent a room income when it is below taxable limit

Thanks for the info. Could you please clarify: if the income is less than one person's allowance (less than £3,750), can just one person declare it, or do we have to declare half each? (The motivation here being to avoid my wife having to do a tax return unless it is absolutely necessary.) Thanks.
  • Declaring rent a room income when it is below taxable limit

Hi, I have received rental income from hosting foreign students during tax year 2023/24. The total income amount is below £3,750. I am married and own the property joinly. Can I declare the total income on my tax return, or are we obliged to declare half the amount each and both do a tax return (my wife's taxes are normally handled by PAYE). Thank you!
  • RE: Adjusted Net Income and Rent-a-Room

A question related to this: during the current tax year I started hosting foreign students for short periods (my total income from it will be well below £7,500). As I already complete a tax return every year, do I need to opt into the Rent a Room Scheme, or simply "ignore" the income and complete my return as in previous years?