Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Employment or Self employment?

    I had a service contract with a company outside UK and has no UK presence. The service was carried out in UK home. The company only has to pay for the service fee and no liability to any of my benefit such as medical. I only need to work up to certain hours in a week. When i prepare for the personal Self-assessment , i have question that i should put this income as employment or Self employment? I understood income tax rate should be same for both while Self employment also has to pay for NI. If it is consider to employment, only employee NI needs to be paid but pay through PAYE system. The employee NI rate should be same as that in Self employment. The income tax plus NI should be same in both case but it seems easier to pay everything through self -assessment rather than go creating a PAYE account.