Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: How to put Chargeable Events on the tax return

Reference my last question, I phoned the tax office help line and after only 60 minutes was connected. The questions were mostly answered but just as we were coming to the end the advisor said something about after filling in the on-line part of the form as for a UK house to, "also fill in the overseas box". At this point the line went dead and the call ended (this has happened both times I phoned the help line). So, for my overseas house sale: Fill in the Residential Property section as for a UK property As the sale is at a loss (due to circumstances overseas) there is no PRR You don't need to fill in the separate on-line sale declaration as with a UK property Then you must fill in ..... QUESTION: I assume this means repeating the loss in the box, "Total gains or losses on non-UK residential property or carried interest reported on Real Time Transaction returns:". Is that correct? Thanks, 

Name removed admin .
  • RE: How to put Chargeable Events on the tax return

Many thanks! Now my other question. I sold my house in Aberdeen last year and filled it in on line under "Residential property (and carried interest)". Tax was owed because I'd been overseas with a Christian Mission, so rented it out. Whilst overseas I bought a cheap house in the Mission Centre (£17,600). On leaving I couldn't sell it as the number of missionaries had dropped, even offering it at £12,000. Thus, when I declare it next year there will be a loss. 1. I assume I still declare it, in the same place I declared the Aberdeen house. 2. Does it make any difference that I didn't live in it for the last 2 years (the reason the Aberdeen house attracted CGT) if I'm making a loss? 3. If it's a loss, can I reclaim any tax in respect of it? Thanks. Bob
  • How to put Chargeable Events on the tax return

I cashed in some Investment Bonds which generated Chargeable Events. How and where do I put them on the tax return? Thanks for any help!