Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: US stock transfer

Thank you so much for your help. Just to clarify on the date of acquisition, would it be considered to be 50% at the time I became joint account holder with my dad and then 50% of the value at the time it all got transferred to an account in my name? Or how is it calculated? Thanks in advance.
  • Gift tax on US shares

I currently live, work and pay taxes in UK. I have recently received about £500k in shares from my dad who lives overseas. Shares are held in the US with a broker based in the US. They were transferred from his brokerage account to mine. Do I have to declare this in the UK? Is there any tax I need to pay for receiving this gift?
  • US stock transfer

Hi, I currently live, work and pay taxes in UK. I have some personal shares in the United States in a brokerage account. I wish to transfer them to a joint account in my name and my sister’s. Am I liable to capital gain? If so, how do I calculate the gain, given there won’t be a recorded sale transaction? (it will be a transfer; no stocks will be sold) A bit of history of the account: 1. Originally my father was the sole owner on the shares (bought them in 2010) 2. In 2020 (roughly) I was added as an account holder (joint account with right of survivorship) 3. In 2022 I transferred all the shares to an account in my name only. 4. I want to know the tax implications (if any) of transferring all the shares to a joint account in mine and my sister’s name. I really appreciate your help on this.