Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Insurance number / pre settlement / tax

Hi team, My husband moved to the UK in April 2024. He applied for pre settlement status and his currently waiting for a reply. He has a certificate of application which allows him the right to work, rent, get benefits etc. He is still waiting for a response in regards to the status of his emigration/ pre settlement. He applied for a national insurance number, and we provided all the documents necessary including is new job contract and prof of address. They declined his request for NIN. Since then we have not re applied because we were told he is not going to be given a NIN while his pre settlement status is not established. Meanwhile he was working a part time job, earning around £500 per month. We thought he was not being taxed because of the low amount. He has now found a new job, full time. We are worried that he is going to be on emergency tax because he does not have NIN? I also read that the first year working in the UK until 12,500 earnings you don’t get taxed. Would this apply to him? Could we try to re apply for insurance number even if no response from pre settlement status? How long can we expect for the answer of pre settlement to take? Since it has been a few months now. Thank you Daniela
  • RE: Would I be entitled to tax credits

Hi team, Sorry posting this question here I did not found another topic that coincides with the problem. My husband moved to the Uk in April 2024. He asked for pre settlement status and is waiting for a response. Was given a certificate of application which gives him the right to work, rent, getting benefits etc. He applied for insurance number and they denied it. It’s been two months and his income is around £500 working for a cleaning company. He has finally found a full time job and will be paid 13.30 per hour. We are concerned that he is going to be on a emergency tax? Should we re apply for insurance number? I read that the first 12,500 are not taxed so would that mean he is not going to be taxed on this new income for one year? Thank you!
  • RE: Help with Universal credit

Hi Team, My husband moved to the Uk in April. We asked for pre settlement status and is waiting for a response. He applied for insurance number and they denied it. It’s been two months and his income is around £500. Can he ask for financial suport? Universal credit? Thank you!