Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Global Taxation Treatment

I intend to transfer money from my account to my wife’s account in India, which she plans to invest in a fund (based in India). Upon maturity, the principal and profit will be credited to my wife’s bank account, as she is the owner of the fund. However, according to Indian tax laws, since the funds originated from my account, the profits and principal must be reported in my Indian tax return under the "clubbing provisions," making me liable for the taxes. For UK self-assessment purposes (to declare global income) – Please suggest how this will be treated . 1. Report the profit under my wife's name and claim India tax relief ( Dual taxation relief ) as she is the owner of fund and has proceeds of sale : On UK Govt website : Any money you transfer to your wife's bank account that attracts interest after the transfer, is taxable income of your wife and will be taxed based on her circumstances. 2. Report the profit under my name and claim India tax relief ( Dual Taxation releif ). Please advise on the appropriate approach.
  • Online transfer to parents 100K

What are the tax implications in the UK for transfering 100K to parents in India [ india to india bank account as i need to help ] same for my father in law [ wife father ] .
  • Capital Gain Tax Overseas Income on maturity

Could you please clarify how this scenario will be treated for tax purposes in the UK? As an Indian citizen ( UK resident ), if I invest in mutual funds (equity) in my son's name in India, with myself as the guardian (since he is under 18 years old), according to Indian mutual fund and India Govt tax regulations, the tax implications upon maturity or withdrawal after my son turns 18 will apply to him, as he will be the owner of the investment at that time. For UK Tax reporting ( Global Income ) the tax liability will all be in my son name ( as he would have turned 18+ on maturity of this funds) or parents also will be responsible for tax .
  • RE: Gift and Inheritance Tax

Can you please clarify Inheritance tax - If my parents transfers less than £325,000 ( Threshold for inheritance tax ) via bank transfer from their account with no property estate being transferred to my name will i have to pay inheritance tax. There's normally no Inheritance Tax to pay if either: the value of your estate is below the £325,000 threshold. Is £325,000 threshold applicable for both online transfer same as estate transfer or there are different rules for inheriting this.