Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Child Benefit and Redundancy

I couldn't agree more Joe. II am reading it now that taxed redundancy pay does count as personal income (in which case I am above the threshold for claiming Child Benefit). But it would be so much more simple if this were made clear initially when working out personal net income because as you said Redundnacy payments are not mentioned anywhere.

Presumably anything over that £30000 tax free on the redundancy payment would be added to net income though? So for example if my redundancy payment were a total of £60000 with £30k taxed and £30k not taxed then £30k (less tax paid) does get included as net income and therefore that would take our combined income over the £80000? Correct? Or are HMRC generous enough not to include taxed redundancy as net income? Many thanks

Thank you. The first £30000 is tax free, after that it will all be taxed subject to nomal PAYE rates and will be taxed by my company before I get it. Hope that helps
  • Child Benefit and Redundancy

I have just been made redundant. Neither my wife nor I will earn over the £60,000 this tax year. But is my redundancy payment, which would take me over the £80000, included in the total for net income for the year meaning we can't claim child benefit evn if I earn nothing more this tax year?