Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Tax on German pension

Just for information for anyone looking to apply for their German Pension, this is an indication of how long it might take. The CFN 901 took 2 weeks to reach me after I requested it. Once they receive the form, the DWP told me it takes them approximately 2 months to log, check and pass the form to the relevant German authority. How long it takes after that is down to the German Pension authority. So I'm not expecting to hear if I get any and how much until the autumn....

GaryC, this is discombobulating. I spoke to a lady today who is getting the CFN901 sent out to me. She was convinced that I would pay tax on the German pension in the UK, but I urged her to go back and check. She was very apologetic when she discovered it is indeed taxed in Germany (I referred back to the the posts in this thread). Will get the DD form filled out - am assuming it needs to be in PDF format? - and also the Reply slip - I'm assuming I tick the first box only. Been a while since I dealt with such formal German so glad I am retired, can take as long as I want. You are a godsend for anyone trying to navigate these confusing waters. Thank you again.

Gary The only form I have filled in detailing my Non-UK Pensions is the form BR1 where I detailed when I had worked in Germany along with my Steuernummer. I checked the CFN901 form you mention. What came up on a search was a form for payment of the UK State Pension into an account if you live abroad: 'International Pensions Direct Payment is the Department for Work and Pensions’ way of paying your pension or benefit direct to an account of your choice outside the United Kingdom'. I may as well start the process now, the DRV sent me a letter saying I was entitled to a pension dated 24th February (delay due to postal system) by which time I had already completed the BR1 (4th February). The Non-EU/EEA certificate needs to be certified by the DWP if I understand correctly, so am assuming that would need to be sent to them by post for completion. I might give them a call later. Thanks for all the information you have posted on this, it has been a massive help.

I retired as of last Friday and have applied for my German Pension (I lived there for about 8 years 1980 - 1989) via the HMRC. Does anyone know a) do I lodge the information with the RiA in advance or in retrospect? b) how long it takes to receive the pension from Germany. I know the earliest date is 1st April but understand that the wheels of bureaucracy sometimes turn very slowly It seems quite complicated (it's been a long time since I dealt with German 'officialese' but was going to take the forms to Germany in April for my nephew to have a look at and help me with.