Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Taxation on transferring personal assets between overseas banks and local banks,

Hello admins, I just became tax resident in the UK last week and I would like to clarify the following taxation issues. Thank you. 1) Is personal assets in my original overseas banks treated as taxable “income” if I transfer the funds to my UK personal bank account count? How about funds from my joint account with my parents? 2) Do I need to provide proof of funds (e.g. from my parents or from selling properties) if I transfer personal assets to my UK bank account? Do I need any anti-money laundry check? 3) Is there any upper limit on receiving funds as a gift from parents? 4) Do I need to pay any tax if I receive heritage from my parents who are non-UK tax residents? 5) My parents are non-UK tax residents and give me funds as a gift. If they become UK tax residents one or two years afterwards, do I need to pay any heritage tax on those funds if they die within 7 years? 6) If I transfer funds to an overseas financial institution for investments, do I need to pay tax on the original amount of capital (not only the gains from the investment) when I transfer all funds back to my UK bank account? Is the original amount of capital treated as “income”? Thank you very much for your assistance.