Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Confirmation of Paying via Tax Code

Hi Hmrc admin. Any chance of a comment on this one please? Seeing plenty more answered ahead of this. Thanks, Dave
  • Confirmation of Paying via Tax Code

Hi all, I completed my first self-assessment due to a change in job role/salary that took me over the family threshold for receiving child benefit during the year, which meant that I need to repay £1300. I completed the self assessment and confirmed that HMRC should collect the outstanding amount via tax through my tax code for 2023/24. Within 24hrs of making this submission, I received an email to advise that my tax code has changed. My code changed from 1257L to K28 M1. However, I keep getting letters and emails from HMRC since then advising that I MUST pay by 31st January 2024 or risk a fine, unless I have an alternative method of paying set up (such as via tax code). However, I have nothing in writing to confirm that payment will be taken from my tax code. I can't call HMRC to ask since I can only call to make a payment, and the online chatbot just keeps directing me to make a payment. So I'm totally at a loss at how to get help on this. How do I know if I am 100% confirmed to make a payment via my tax code, and therefore not going to risk missing the 31st January deadline?