Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• CGT - Rented (previously I lived in) House Sale - completing HMRC self assessment.

Good afternoon, could you please help.. October 2023 I sold my rental property. This was a property that I used to live in. I kept the property and rented it out when I bought another property. I completed all as required for capital gains on this sale and paid CGT owed in November 2023. I am trying to complete self assessment 23/24 and really confused where to add figures. I trust that I tick Residential Property (and carried interest)?? I have only made this 1 capital gain disposal during 23/24. The wording of the questions asked on self assessment do not match the wording on Gov.uk document I received (Capital Gains Tax to pay for the 2023 to 2024 tax year) in November regarding how HMRC worked out my Capital gain. I know, price of property when sold (is this the Disposal proceeds Box)? I know, Allowable Costs. Deducting provided the gain... Do I put this into a box or does system action. Where do I put the Relief I received (Principal Private Residence Relief) Trust £6,000 Annual Exempt Amount will be taken off by the system This provides my taxable gain - which box do I put this in? By using tax bands provided the amount Tax to pay... which I paid in November 23. In which box do I place this amount that i was required to pay and paid? I have all the information, but honestly am finding difficult where to place into self assessment. Could you please advise. Many thanks
  • Self assessment completion - sold rental property which I lived in prior

Good afternoon, could you please help.. October 2023 I sold my rental property. This was a property that I used to live in. I kept the property and rented it out when I bought another property. I completed all as required for capital gains on this sale and paid CGT owed in November 2023. I am trying to complete self assessment 23/24 and really confused where to add figures. I trust that I tick Residential Property (and carried interest)?? I have only made this 1 capital gain disposal during 23/24. The wording of the questions asked on self assessment do not match the wording on Gov.uk document I received (Capital Gains Tax to pay for the 2023 to 2024 tax year) in November regarding how HMRC worked out my Capital gain. I know, price of property when sold (is this the Disposal proceeds Box)? I know, Allowable Costs. Deducting provided the gain... Do I put this into a box or does system action. Where do I put the Relief I received (Principal Private Residence Relief) Trust £6,000 Annual Exempt Amount will be taken off by the system This provides my taxable gain - which box do I put this in? By using tax bands provided the amount Tax to pay... which I paid in November 23. In which box do I place this amount that i was required to pay and paid? I have all the information, but honestly am finding difficult where to place into self assessment. Could you please advise. Many thanks