Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Definition of non-residential land

Hi, can I please confirm that if I sell some empty land (fields) to a developer it is classed as a non-residential property disposal, even if the developer has got planning permission to build residences on it (but has not started construction)? Thanks
  • RE: Turn around time for CGT Forms sent by post

If I'm supposed to pay within 60 days, but it's taking ten weeks to send the X number, I assume I won't be penalised?
  • CGT rate/amount on UK non-res disposal of UK property - how does it interact with UK personal?

Hi, I wonder if someone can help with this question. I have rounded the numbers for simplicity. I am a UK non-resident and have disposed of a UK residential property. I have no UK taxable income and am entitled to a full UK personal allowance. If my taxable capital gain (so after CGT allowance etc deducted) is £15,000, do I have to pay 18% CGT on the whole £15,000 or 0% on the first £12,570 and then 18% on the remainder. I have a horrible feeling I am going to be told I have to pay 18% on the full amount. That seems a little unfair? I see if you haveincome plus a gain that takes you from the basic rate band to the higher rate band you pay 18% on the amount left in your basic rate band and 28% on the rest. Shouldn't this marginal approach apply from 0 to 18% too? Is it really the case that if you have no UK income but a gain of say £5k on a property you have to pay 18% of £5k? I'd be really grateful for any help! Many thanks..