Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Should there be VAT charged to a UK VAT registered company for venue hire in France?

We are hiring a hotel board room in a French hotel to host an event. We are a UK VAT registered events company. Should the French hotel be charging VAT on their invoice or should they zero rate it? Thank you
  • RE: VAT for events held in the UK for US companies

Thank you however I do require some further clarification. The US company where the HQ is based, has signed the contract for all worldwide events including the UK events. They have a UK incorporated subsidiary and it is staff from here that will be hosting the UK event. Any business they win from the UK event will go to the UK company. However main directors are based at the HQ. How do I determine the establishment connected closest to the supply, as it difficult to tell from the HMRC guidance provided? If it is the UK, do I invoice the UK entity or add VAT to the invoice addressed to the US company?
  • VAT for events held in the UK for US companies

We organise networking events in the UK & have contracts with US companies that attend the events. They essentially pay for to sponsor, advertise & speak at our events. Some of the US companies may have a UK branch (not necessarily incoporated), or remote staff working in the UK. Our query is do we need charge VAT to the US companies in respect of these sales if the events are held in the UK?
  • Deposits & proforma invoices

We host events at various hotels. We hire boardrooms, bedrooms at the hotels and they also provide catering etc. For one of the hotels, We generally pay the hotels in two installments in advance of the events (i.e. deposit payments) and usually a balancing payment after the event. The hotels have only provided pro forma invoices for each payment and do not issue a vat invoice until after the event. From what I have read on HMRC, the hotels should provide vat invoices after each payment as this creates a tax point, is this correct?