Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: How to report capital loss to offset capital gain from the future years

WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
  • How to report capital loss to offset capital gain from the future years

I'm wondering how to report capital loss correctly to offset my future capital gains. Situation: Given I 1) obtained 15k capital loss and no gains in the 2023-2024 financial year 2) received 9k capital gain in the 2024-2025 financial year 3) presumably will receive some capital gain, for the example purpose, let's say 6k in the 2025-2026 financial year Examples of how to report the capital loss I thought about: 1) Report the total capital loss in 2023-2024 SA. Concern - will it be stored somewhere in the system for me to access it in the following years' SAs to offset the future capital gains? Will I see how much of this capital loss is left that is not used yearly? 2) Do not report capital loss in 2023-2024 SA. Report the total capital loss in the next year - 2024-2025 - SA, when I receive capital gains to offset the loss. Concern - I expect gains from 2024-2025 to be less than the loss from 2023-2024. What will happen to the remainder of the capital loss? 3) Do not report capital loss in 2023-2024 SA. Report the amount of capital loss equal to each future year (within 4(5?) years) capital gain to offset it. Question: How do we properly report the capital loss to offset these future capital gains that are less than the loss amount? Do any of my examples describe it correctly, or do you think it should be done differently?