Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Non-resident arising basis

Thank you for the answer, that clarifies things for me. Just to confirm, I am not required to tick box 28 in SA109 (despite what the notes say)? For the unchargeable foreign securities income (which constitute a part of my P60), I should also include them (despite what HS305/14 says)?
  • RE: Non-resident arising basis

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, it doesn't answer my question: the information about the link is about which income is taxable and which one isn't, which I know (it should only be UK which is taxable). The question is how to fill the self-assessment to correctly report that. I don't think remittance basis and not is the same, by the way, as remittance basis requires losing allowance and paying a charge.
  • Non-resident arising basis

I am a non-resident, where a part of my income comes from the work (employment) performed in the UK. As I understand it, it should only be the UK portion (UK) that's taxable, but I'm not sure how to fill the self-assessment in this case. My (UK) employer reports my worldwide income (W) in P60. Should I: A. report only the UK-taxable portion (UK) of the income in the employment pages (SA102/1)? This seems inconsistent with the SA102 notes which require to put the P60 amount, or B. report the worldwide income (W) in SA102/1, and then the non-UK-taxable part in box 12 in Additonal pages 2 (Foreign income non-taxable)? This seems to imply the remittance basis (sa109/28 says "you must fill this box if you filled 12/Ai2"), whereas I would like to file on the arising basis.
  • Form of pre-action letters

Hello, does HMRC still prefers to receive the pre-action letters via email (via https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hmrc-to-accept-service-of-legal-proceedings-by-email) or are now hard copies required?
  • RE: Which letters are sent online?

I imagine that you are required to send them by post, but is there a way to get them online (or in any other way that doesn't get regularly lost) as well, to avoid later discussions about effects of attempting to make a legally-required notification with a letter that has gone missing?
  • Which letters are sent online?

I have paperless settings turned on, but I seem to be missing the letters with the tax decisions made in relation to self-assessment. I can see only tax statement (SA300) there. Can you tell me if the tax decisions regarding self-assessment (described here: https://www.gov.uk/tax-appeals/decision), in particular about: - final tax bill relating to a self-assessment - update of the tax bill after an amendment - notice of correction of the assessment are sent via post or online, assuming I have paperless settings turned on?
  • RE: Applying future circumstances in 3rd automatic UK test in SRT

Sorry for continuing the topic, but the link only addresses the 3rd question above. Do you have an answer to questions 1, and 2? Thank you

Thank you for the answer. 1. Does anyone know the answer to the last question: "it's possible to overpay the tax to avoid later interest charge"? 2. I am a bit confused to read that I am to be charged penalty interest due despite no error on my side (just a change in future circumstances). Are you able to provide any legal reference for that? 3. Do you know if penalty interest is charged for the intermediate period if I file an amendment before 31 January (ie. before the deadline to pay), but it takes HMRC a couple of weeks to process the amendment?

Thank you for the information. Do I understand it correctly that a filling a potential amendment is my choice (and not an obligation) in that case? Do you know if late penalty interest is charged when the amendment is processed after the SA filling deadline and if so if it's possible to overpay the tax to avoid later interest charge?