Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Importing Nightwear from Portugal to UK

Hi, thank you for the above. The fabric has origin of Spain and all other components origin of Portugal along with being cut and sewn in Portugal. I have previously been told this makes the final garments have Portuguese preferential origin. Is this correct? I have looked at the UK tariff schedule and I can't find a commodity code for cotton pyjamas/nightdresses that specifies print or plain? Only the commodity code posted in my first message. Could you point me in the right direction if my commodity code is wrong? Are you able to share a clear example of a statement of Origin that needs to be added to an invoice or commercial document by my factory? Any key wording that customs require to ensure there is no hold up? Thank you!
  • Importing Nightwear from Portugal to UK

Hi, My company is importing a shipment of €7,000 of Nightwear (Commodity Code: 6208210000) from a Portuguese factory to London. The garments were made in Portugal - thus cover the requirements for Portuguese preferential origin. The shipment is being shipped via UPS from the factory to my business in London. I understand that with the REX number and a statement on origin my company will be exempt from Duty when the goods pass through UK customs. Is this correct? What other import tax would I expect to pay? The factory's process to acquire a REX number is taking a long time (~ 6 months already). An alternative they have suggested is shipping in two €3,500 shipments thus being below the REX number requirement. Will this mean my company will be exempt from Duty on both shipments? (Providing the factory provide a statement on origin). On a side note do you have any guidance / experience of how long a REX number takes to receive? Thank you in advance for all your help.