Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• First year corporation tax return

Hello. My company was registered on 13 Oct 2022 and two Corporation tax returns are needed to file for two periods from 13 Oct 2022 to 12 Oct 2023 and 13 Oct 2023 to 31 Oct 2023 respectively in due course. The business actually started from 1 Apr 2023. May I apply for dormancy for the period prior to 1 Apr 2023 so that I just file one return covering 1 Apr 2023 to 31 Oct 2023? If it is too late to apply for, may I file the first period return through commercial software while the second period return through HMRC online? This is because my company so settled a purchase invoice in Euro in the first period that I can’t file the return through HMRC online, but no foreign currency transaction was made in the second period. Thank you.
  • VAT for self employed

Hello. I started to be self employed as a driver for a delivery company in May 2023. The company arranged me to register under VAT flat rate scheme at 10% and filed the VAT returns for me with charges. I worked for two months only and became a self employed painter for a contractor company since Feb 2024. As I expected my turnover would not trigger the VAT threshold, I informed the company to cancel my VAT registration which was effective from end Mar 2024. I would like to know if I need to pay VAT for the period from Feb to Mar 2024 even though I issued non VAT invoices to the contractor company. If needed, which tax rate should I use – flat rate of 10% for transport, 14.5% for labour-only construction, or standard rate of 20%? Many thanks.
  • RE: Self assessment registration

Hello. As per your advice, I used the 3rd party software to file my self assessment return. However, when I tried to submit it , there was a credential error. The [admin removed product name] suggested me to activate the self assessment services on the HMRC website. I did it but the result was same as my last thread: "Your income tax has not been calculated yet for 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023" & "There is no need for you to contact HMRC about this". So, would you please advise me how to solve it? Besides, upon completion of my return, the tax payable was automatically calculated. However, I elected the remittance basis and no foreign incomes were remitted for 2022-23. To my understanding, I need not pay any taxes. So, should I ignore the tax payable? Many thanks.

Hello. I finally got the UTR. However, when I signed in to file the self assessment return, I was forwarded to my personal tax account and only got messages: "Your income tax has not been calculated yet for 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023" & "There is no need for you to contact HMRC about this". In my case, I don't have any employment income but foreign saving/gains more than GBP2000. To my understanding, I need to report it in the self assessment return even though such the money are not remitted to the UK. So, would you please advise how I could file the return? Many thanks.

Hello. As per your advice, I filled in the form, namely, "Registering for self assessment and getting a tax return" and posted it on 30 Aug 2023. However, I have not yet received any reply from HMRC and the deadline of self notification of 5 Oct is close. Would you please advise what I should do? Cheers.
  • Self assessment registration

Hello. I came to the UK last year and then became a tax resident. I don't have any UK incomes but foreign incomes/gains, so I tried to do a self assessment registration. But your system reported that the information I gave did not match your records. What the information I gave are my name, DOB, NI (which I don't have) and postcode. I don't think there is any inconsistancy. Would you please advise how I can register? Cheers.