Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Split year treatment

Hi HRMC Admin, I arrived in the UK on 26th September 2022, using a BNO visa, and became a UK tax resident on the same date. During my employment as a high school teacher in Hong Kong, I worked until 31st August 2022 and was entitled to the full balance of my retirement fund (~£400,000) upon leaving the school service. My retirement fund was entirely contributed by my employer within the period of my employment at the school (1st September 2000 – 31st August 2022). However, my Hong Kong employer disbursed my final wages and the full balance of my retirement fund (~£400,000) into my bank account on 15th October 2022. By that time, I was already a UK tax resident. My question pertains to whether I am required to submit a self-assessment and report my Hong Kong final wages and the full balance of my retirement fund, which were credited into my account on 15th October 2022, to HMRC. As I believe I qualify for a split year treatment in the tax year 2022-2023, I am seeking guidance on the reporting requirements for these specific funds. I would greatly appreciate your advice on how to proceed in this matter. If necessary, please provide me with the appropriate procedure to ensure I meet my obligations as a UK tax resident while considering the unique circumstances of my arrival and the timing of the funds received. Thanks!