Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Applying Digital Nomad Scheme but still PAYE employee

Apologies - I messed up defence to timescales in that above post. 24 years should read 24 months in the 2nd para! And then in the final para, the initial sentence should read "be extended beyond 24 months". Sorry for any confusion
  • RE: Applying Digital Nomad Scheme but still PAYE employee

In respect of the digital nomad visa for Spain, I note on the Spanish side you can ultimately utilise it for a period of 5 years. When you apply for an exemption from paying NI in Spain due to remaining on a UK payroll, the A1 is initially valid for a period of 24 years (assuming you request it for that period). It appears it can be renewed and extended presumably for a further period of times (maybe 2 years and then 1 further year to get to the 5 permitted by the DNV in Spain) by completion of a signed statement (by the employee). Is this correct - so an A1 can be extended beyond 48 months subject to agreement with HMRC - I presume the Spanish tax authorities main concern is ensuring they continue to receive the income tax from the digital nomad rather than making them move across to a Spanish payroll which may not be available.