Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Pension contributions and tax relief

Hello, Thanks for your reply. If we leave aside the topic of the carry over allowance, and I assume I have an annual allowance of £60000, can you please clarify : a) Does that translate to a maximum personal contribution of £48000? Because of the additional 12k added to the pension by govt as tax relief? or is it only the personal contribution that is considered for that annual allowance? b) Assuming I make a personal contribution of £48000, when i am working out how that impacts my highest rax income tax band, should I look at my total income - £48000 or my total income - £60000? Thank you
  • Pension contributions and tax relief

Hello, I am looking to make a lump sum contribution to a personal pension and I have a few questions: I am aiming to make contribution that leaves my income below the high rate tax band. I understand that the pension provider will claim 20% additional contribution from the government on top of the contribution I make, and as I am a higher rate tax payer I can then claim additional tax relief on my self assessment tax return . Does my taxable income then become my salary - my own pension contribution, or is it my salary - (my pension contribution + the 20% added) ? I have a similar question regarding the 60k maximum contribution for tax relief - should the number which I compare to that 60k threshold be only my contribution, or my contribution + 20%? Or my contribution + 20% + the additional tax relief I will claim on self assessment? I may also need to consider the carry over allowance of previous years. I was not resident in the UK in 2021/2022 (though I did have a pension account from previous UK employment during that tax year, I made no UK pension contributions during that year). Can I still consider the 40k pension contribution limit from that available to me as carry forward for this tax year, despite not being resident in the UK then? Thank you in advance!