Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Claiming tax back following redundancy

I was made redundant in February and received no further salary in 2023-24. I was paying contributions through PAYE on a monthly basis however these payments were based on my annual salary expectation, which I did not fully earn due to ceasing employment before year-end. It is therefore my understanding that I have paid too much tax (as well as national insurance contributions). I have unfortunately realised too late that I should have completed a P50 form to obtain a refund straight away however as we are now in a new tax year the guidelines on the website say that if HMRC calculate an overpayment I will be sent a P800 form but this could take up to October 2024 to be generated. Can you please advise on how I can speed this calculation / repayment up? Please note: I am currently unemployed and using the redundancy payment and my savings to fund this period of unemployment. I need the overpayment back in order to contribute to this further. My redundancy payment was well within the tax free payment threshold. Many thanks