Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Income Tax Question

Hello Thank you for your reply. I have several follow-up questions (1) Since the £18,000 annual pension is paid by the Hong Kong Government is being taxed in Hong Kong, is this amount not treated as "income in UK" so that it won't be take into account when doing the income tax calculation? (2) If yes, is the £5900 annual interest not exceeding the allowance (Personal Allowance £12,570 + Starting rate allowance £5000 + Interest allowance £1000)? So does it mean no tax is needed to be paid but only reporting to HMRC? (3) The £25 dividend (outside UK) is surely within the dividend allowance, should this be reported to HMRC as well? Thank you for your kind help.
  • Income Tax Question

Hello, My mother is 62 years old now. She is a retired Hong Kong Government Civil Servant. She is receiving pension from the Hong Kong Government around £18,000 annually. This amount is being taxed in Hong Kong already. She doesn't do any work in UK. She receives bank interest around £5900 per year, dividend £25 in 2023/24 ,no other capital gain. In this case, does she need to file her tax return to HMRC?
  • Council Tax Deduction

Hello, I am self-employed and a sole trader. Right now I am using my home as an office. My question is apart from the rent of the house, can I claim part of the council tax as the expense of my business? Thank you.